Tuesday, 18 October 2011
Review 9: Flutterwonder (SoGreatandPowerful Remix) - SoGreatandPowerful
This little number snagged the #5 spot on my first Top 7, and I'll be a manticore's uncle if it didn't deserve higher! This musical community never ceases to amaze me in how creative it can manage to be. Remixes of remixes. And then remixes of those, but that's a different matter. SoGreatandPowerful pulled off here, what only a few other bronies have done before him, at least in such great success. He not only retained the original Flutterwonder's innate brilliance, but added enough personal flare to make it unique. Good job, SoGreatandPowerful.
The track plays in with a delightfully soft "Woohoo" from Fluttershy, before slipping sweetly into the familiar tone of PinkiePieSwear's original Flutterwonder. The disjointed rhythms of Fluttershy's voice fill the airwaves in the typical PPS layout, and at this point I began to wonder when the actual remixing would begin. Yes, there was a lovely addition of a backing piano, tilting lightly with the tune, but it was hardly enough to sustain a complete cover. However, just before I lost faith, there was a change.
Fluttershy muttering "Pinkie Pie Swear?" and a very mixed rendition of Pinkie Pie giving said oath. Followed by the amusing attempt of Twilight Sparkle, ending with a sharp jab in the eye. The song now takes on a different connotation for me, less of a cover of PinkiePieSwear's work, and more of an homage. When I hear it as a compliment to the original song, as opposed to a completely different composition, it's beautiful.
The song lilts back into the chorus (if song like this can be said to have a chorus), and introduces a delightful horn, sending reinforcement to both piano and Flutter-sound grabs. The tune fades as we are played the memorable opening to Sonic Rainboom:
"Louder" "Louder" "LOUDER!!!"
"Yay" "Yay!" "*GAAAAAAAASP*"
Before merging seamlessly back into the bulk of the tune. We play with Fluttershy for a while longer, and relax in her rhythmic presence. Before the song gradually peters out, leaving the listener satisfied and in damn good spirits.
I have something very special planned for my tenth review, so keep an eye out. It's a song very, very close to my heart.
- ► 2012 (103)
- PMV Spotlight - Polka Face
- Weekly Top 7 #4
- Musical Analysis 11
- PMV Spotlight - Old Mare's Tale (Octavastia Your F...
- Review 12: Equestrian National Anthem
- Top 10 Greatest Luna songs ever!
- Musical Analysis 10 (Plus One Month)
- Review 11: Luna Deos - Makkon
- Poll Results #3
- Musical Analysis 9
- PMV Spotlight - Cell Block Pony Tango
- Weekly Top 7 #3
- Another day at Equestrian Rhythm
- The deed is Done!
- Review 10: The Best Song Of All Time!
- Musical Analysis 8
- PMV Spotlight - Ponyvarium
- Happy Birthday Sonic30!
- Review 9: Flutterwonder (SoGreatandPowerful Remix)...
- Musical Analysis 7
- PMV Spotlight - YOUR FACE!
- Weekly Top 7 #2
- Website Redesign
- New Poll - Favourite Pony
- Links for the Live Stream
- Poll Results #2
- The Challenge Of Sci
- Musical Analysis 6
- PMV Spotlight - My (not-so) Little Pony Parody
- Review 8: Winter Wrap Up (Living Tombstone Remix) ...
- Birthday Celebration and an Announcement
- Musical Analysis 5
- Review 7: Friendship is Magic - KeepOnRockin'
- Weekly Top 7 #1
- Review 6: Art Of The Dress (Always Stressed Mix) -...
- PMV Spotlight - Hardware Store
- New Team Member
- Musical Analysis 4
- New Poll
- Review 5: Are You Proud To Be A Brony? - JPT (Blac...
- Poll Results
- I Have Returned
- Musical Analysis 3
- ▼ October (43)